- 4 May 2018
4 May 2018
9:30 am - 1:00 pm
- 8 November 2018
8 November 2018
9:30 am - 1:00 pm
The National Employment Standards (NES), found in the Fair Work Act, are a set of 10 minimum ‘safety net’ standards that apply to all national system employees. These include annual, personal/carer’s, compassionate, parental and community service leave, notice of termination and redundancy pay, public holidays, requests for flexible working arrangements and maximum weekly hours. An award, enterprise agreement, employment contract or workplace policy cannot provide any less than these standards, but can ‘supplement’ the standards. A breach of the NES may give rise to penalties or proceedings before the Fair Work Commission, so it is important that employers are fully aware of their obligations.
This half-day course will explain each entitlement under the NES and who each entitlement applies to, as well as employee obligations of notice and evidence. It will also contain a comprehensive overview of long service leave legislation, which varies from state to state.
Consultants and solicitors from AFEI and AFEI Legal will provide examples and case studies to help employers better understand their legal obligations and will be able to answer your questions about these entitlements. They will also cover recent legislative and award developments which impact upon the application of the NES.
Who should attend
All staff in supervisory and managerial positions, payroll and other staff responsible for applying employee entitlements.
- Coverage of the NES.
- Interaction between the NES, Awards, Enterprise Agreements and employment contracts.
- Explanation of each entitlement under the NES.
- Examples of Modern Award terms that supplement the NES.
- Notice and evidence requirements.
- Long service leave entitlements.
- Interaction between the NES, long service leave and workers compensation legislation
- Consequences of breaching the NES and Awards.
On completion, participants should have the ability to:
- Understand each entitlement under the NES and how the NES interacts with other legal instruments.
- Assess employee entitlements under the NES or long service leave legislation.
- Advise staff on approval or denial of requests for access to NES entitlements.
- Minimise the risks of employee claims concerning the application of the NES, and how to respond to any claims.
A Certificate of Attendance will be issued at the completion of the workshop.
Duration & Venue
Duration: Half Day: 9.30am – 1.00pm
Venue: AFEI, Level 2, 97-99 Bathurst Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Fee (GST Free)
Member Fee: AUD $290
Non Member Fee: AUD $350
Fee includes morning tea and course materials.