- 10 Apr 2018
10 April 2018
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- 4 Sept 2018
4 September 2018
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Work Health and Safety (WHS) consultation is a legal requirement. Consultation may take a number of forms including through formal safety committees and more informal safety teams. The aim of this course is to provide the information and skills to enable safety committee and team participants to conduct productive and well-organised Health and Safety meetings.
The Health and Safety Committee’s role is to resolve WHS problems in consultation with employers and bring about improvements in the workplace. The role of the Committee Chairperson is to prepare for, conduct and facilitate meetings, manage and action items discussed and solve problems when issues arise.
Who should attend
Health and Safety Committee or Team Chairperson and any other committee or team member who may have to chair a meeting.
Topics covered include:
- Context of WHS consultation.
- Purpose of the Health and Safety Committee or Team.
- Role of the Chairperson and strategies to chair an effective committee meeting.
- Drafting meeting minutes and the agenda.
- Problems that the Chairperson may face and strategies to resolve conflict during meetings.
- Strategies to avoid wasting time during meetings.
- Making decisions with members.
- Developing action plans.
On completion, participants should be able to:
- Explain the purpose and role of the Health and Safety Committee and other consultation arrangements.
- Explain how the Health and Safety Committee or Team can assist an organisation to consult and how, when and why consultation should be conducted in the workplace.
- Describe the role of the Chairperson in the decision making process.
- Explain the role of the Chairperson in ensuring effective Health and Safety Committee or Team meetings.
- Outline the barriers to effective Health and Safety Committee or Team meetings.
- Explain how action plans are developed.
A Certificate of Attendance will be issued at the completion of the course.
Duration & Venue
Duration: Half Day: 1.00pm – 4.30pm
Venue: AFEI, Level 2 97-99 Bathurst Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Fee (GST Free)
Member Fee: AUD $280
Non Member Fee: AUD $340
Fee includes morning tea and course materials.